Wednesday 8 June 2011

Smashing the Glass


It's good when the glass is smashed sometimes. It's good when you see it as it really is. I delude myself often. I see things not as they are but how I would like them to appear. I place my dreams into the reality and somehow think if I wish it enough, it will be reality.

There's no place like home.

But when I've stopped clicking my heels and the red shoes produce no magical power, I have to wake up.

People lie. People let you down. People say things they think you want to hear. I know because I've done it. It's okay though. It's okay because we can all get caught up in the moment. We can all believe what we're saying because the reality is rather unappealing and painful. But, we have to maintain integrity don't we? We have to allow our rose-tinted view to slide and welcome the light and darkness to come through.

Without the darkness, how would we comprehend the light? Without the pain we would not feel the embrace of joy. Without the bullshit we would not be able to identify the truth.

Oscar Wilde writes to truly know a man then give him a mask. In his irony he's right on both sides. We can put a mask on at times in order to give a person a picture of what we want to be; an ideal. A projection of how we'd like others to see us. In a sense the mask is reflecting a future self maybe. A future ideal.

Take away the mask and see the raw brutality of me.

Give me the rawness.

I've had rose-tinted views of others and been very hurt as a consequence. Seeing them in reality would have prepared me for the pain. There would have been no pretense. But their glass has been smashed and I see them in reality and it's liberating.

1 comment:

  1. Are you in my head?
    I won't explain why here, but I might well have to write to you xxxxx

    ReplyDelete