Monday 6 June 2011

Blue Valentine


Bitter sweet, beautiful, painful, enchanting, saddening, inspiring, uplifting, heartbreaking.

A film which evokes so many reactions is truly brilliant. I couldn't help relating to so much of it. A film which flits between past and present is not easy viewing. You feel so much joy for the young couple as they fall in love and enjoy the quirky moments and silliness.

You feel so much sadness for this same couple as they are unable to sustain a relationship with so many broken pieces and so many shattered dreams.

Blue Valentine is unflinching in the reality of how love can sometimes fail. Sometimes it simply doesn't work. Sometimes all the dreaming and hope can't hide the fact that it just won't work.

I have been having a really refreshing few days where I have been able to see a little more objectively about my life, my hopes and my dreams. What's important to me and what can wait for now. I need safety and security right now. I have been obsessing over my 'success' as I'm about to turn 30. I'm realising the success will be a place of peace and love for Thomas.

What I want to do is love someone and care for them and have the TIME to be with them and grow with them. A full on career where I'm working tons of hours will not bring me peace, but simply more loneliness. My emotional life is what matters, not my professional life. As I give my mind more room, I know I will come to a place where I know what job I should be doing. I can wait for that.

Watching a film where you see a relationship disintegrate and a couple losing the energy to fight on confirmed what I do find important. Nurturing another and seeing the joy on their face - that's what makes life special.

2 comments:

  1. I say it all the time, and I will say it again.
    I adore you xxxxx

    ReplyDelete