Sunday 19 June 2011

Life Travelled Together

Not sure where this going, I simply needed to write. It's like a craving; if I don't do it, I won't be able to rest.

I'm currently visiting my twin brother and his family in Devon. It's lovely to get away and be in a house of welcome, warmth and love. I feel at complete ease and part of everything. Not a guest. Part of the family. It's Father's Day and I was given a card and chocolate.

I love watching this beautiful family interact. They love each other so much and have intense amounts of respect for one another. And they deal with their problems together, as a family. There's no secrecy and sense of having to handle it on my own. Island mentality doesn't exist. We're in this together.

So often we view our lives as little worlds, which we have to navigate solely through the tempestuous sea of life. Joe says to me how he hates the British Gas adverts because we're not meant to be isolated from each other. Life should be shared as a community. I always hear people say how the only person you can trust is yourself.
I profoundly disagree with this cynical view because I want to trust in others. I want to share my life. I want others to carry me when I find it too hard to walk; I want others to cry for me when I feel too numb; I want others to laugh for me when sadness envelops me.

Look at what we share collectively and how much more enriching it is. Concerts are much more ecstatic in a large crowd, comedians funnier in an audience. Food bursts with more flavour when in the company of others. When I cook a meal for myself and eat it own my own, I see it as nice tasting food. When I eat a meal with beautiful friends and family, the flavours cascade. All my senses become more enriched. The wine tastes better; the food has more flavour; the tiny sounds of cutlery rattling plates, glasses clinking together; it is all magnified.

We are not meant to travel this strange path of life alone. it is too intriguing; it is too interesting; it is too enchanting.

1 comment:

  1. I am of that view, we do this together.
    As a family, as a couple, as friends, or what ever.
    No one should walk alone or feel they have to walk alone.
    We are all too connected for that xxxx

    ReplyDelete