Monday 6 June 2011

Sharing the Journey


I spoke at West Mersea Free Church last night. I was invited to share my story about my journey to disbelief. About how I have moved from being a Christian to an atheist. It was strange because almost seven years ago to the day I was baptised in that church. Now I was coming back to talk about what it means to believe there is no god.

It was a really positive night. Good humoured and full of grace and love. I'm not an atheist who hates religion. I love religion and its legacy. There is so much beauty and mysticism surrounding Christianity, we would be arrogant to dismiss it. I appreciate it, but cannot be a part of it.

I'm an atheist who believes in love and its stunning power. I'm an atheist who believes in the beauty of humanity. I'm an atheist who believes in the diversity of belief.

I really enjoyed the evening because not only did I get to share my story, I also heard other people's stories. Their struggles, their pain, their questions, their joy, their love. We all grapple with what it means to be us. We have questions and we have confusion. We also have those who love us and walk the journey with us.

I don't believe god is walking the journey with me, but I am so thankful to all those wonderful people who are. Those who hold my hand, hold me close and let me know this journey isn't one of solitude. Beautiful.

4 comments:

  1. Realy glad it went well Tom. Sorry I couldn't be there.

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you know you are in the Bible? "The fool hath said in his heart, There is no God" Psalm 14:1. Where do you think youll go when you die?

    ReplyDelete
  3. By your logic Adam, you are in the Bible too, under verses describing the arrogant. I am not concerned where "I go" when I die, I am concerned with how I conduct this life. Is it with love and integrity or with judgement and arrogance? I aim for love and integrity.

    I think you may need to research the Jesus you claim to worship because, from the Gospels, he seemed much more concerned with our treatment of those around us (such as the poor and oppressed) than the abstract idea of flying off to heaven.

    ReplyDelete