Wednesday 15 June 2011

My Darling


"Darling, I miss you so much. In fact, much too much for my own good. I never realised that you were such an intimate part of my life. My life without you is like a year without a spring time which comes to give illumination and heat to the atmosphere saturated by the dark, cold breeze of winter." Martin Luther King Jr to his wife Coretta.

King writes in his autobiography that within moments of meeting Coretta, he knew he wanted to spend the rest of his life with her. She had enchanted him. King was a real romantic who was utterly transfixed by the woman he loved.

He wasn't simply a procrastinating dreamer though. This man's legacy still rumbles through history. He fought for justice; he fought for peace; he fought for liberty; he fought for love; he fought for grace; he fought for the freedom of all humanity. The election of Obama ushered in an appreciation of King's dream. A dream which has become reality. He had a dream of utter beauty and battled against forces of hate and oppression to see it bloom into reality.

I look at this daunting figure of a man and am so comforted that throughout his immense rhetoric and oratory brilliance, he was also wonderfully romantic. He believed in love.

I will never be swayed from loving another like nothing else matters. Loving another like each breath depends upon it. Loving another like our hearts are beating in time.

I am inspired because if a legend like King is moved by the fragility of love, we all can be.

'A dreamer is one who can only find his way by moonlight, and his punishment is that he sees the dawn before the rest of the world.' Oscar Wilde

2 comments:

  1. :)I am so inspired by him. It reminds you that what you desire in life isn't so crazy! xx

    ReplyDelete