Wednesday 18 May 2011

Future Collision

We always collide with our future. Each day. Each hour. Each minute. Each second. We are walking into our future, never really knowing what each step may bring. We can guess, certainly. I will pick up my beer in a moment and take a swig. I will place the beer on the side and savour the fizzy sensation as the I swallow the drink. We will all be 'doing' things tomorrow and the next day, which is routine, normal and even banal. We are able to predict what our days and even weeks will look like.

The future can seem rather linear and predictable.

What if we we walked into our future and said, "What if?" What if we walked into our future, took it by the hand and said, "Let's dance to a different song?" What if we walked into our future and surprised it?

We don't need to think about changing the world, but changing our perceptions and, in turn, other people's perceptions. Our perceptions have so much influence. My perceptions deceive me. I don't hear from a friend for a few days and I worry I have said or done something wrong. My perception of myself causes paranoia and self deprecation. Your perception may involve anger responses or withdrawing responses.

Our perceptions can cause conditioned behaviours. What if we challenged our perceptions and walked into our future with open arms?

Sit somewhere different on the bus in the morning. Say "No," when someone asks if you're alright, instead of the usual, "I'm fine." Give your mum or dad a hug if you don't usually. Tell a stranger you love the colour of their eyes or the smell of their perfume.

Add some spice to your tomorrows. The small touches of seasoning bring out bigger flavours, which then become easier to swallow and soon you're feasting on a much larger future than you could ever imagine.

3 comments:

  1. Having problems with the new look. Reverting to the old until I get it fixed. x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very well said. From someone who suffers with anxiety I have to challenge my mind and myself that whatever negative thoughts that come to mind aren't going to affect reality. If things are going to happen, they will, not because I thought of them.
    - Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Keep challenging it Melissa. Each day, each moment. Your future is yours. xx

    ReplyDelete