Wednesday 25 May 2011

The First Chapter

I'm writing a book. This is the first chapter. Let me know what you think. Peace. x

It’s a weird sensation when you cut yourself. You know it’s a silly thing to do. You know people would freak out if they saw you doing it. The thing is, it feels so right. It physically manifests so much of what you emotionally cannot connect with. My brain is emotionally bleeding. I’m broken and bruised. I am worn down and weary. I am shattered like a mirror on the floor. I see myself as fractured and incoherent. Only able to catch a glimpse of myself in all the pieces. The darkness seeps in like ink in water. It slowly clouds over, taking away all the light.

My Intruder laughs at my despair.

So when I am cutting myself I can see the result of the mental anguish I feel. I deserve this pain. I deserve the scars and the blood to leave my body. I don’t want your pity. I don’t want your sympathy. I do this because I wish myself harm. I don’t wish for attention. If I did then I would call someone, I would announce on Facebook what I was doing. No, you won’t know I’m doing it. I will wear long sleeves and when will you see the cuts on my stomach? If you do see the marks, I can make excuses. I have a cat, he scratched me. Simple.

What, you think the darkness is just ‘in my mind’? Fuck you. Let me give you my Intruder for a day and then we’ll see how cynical you are. Let me give my Intruder the keys to your mind and we’ll see how long it takes before you want to wipe your life from this place we call Earth. My Intruder is a nasty beast. He delights in my despair. Televangelists would love to try and exorcise me.

The Intruder.

He points out the obviously true, but manages to put a little twist on it. Very subtle and very effective. The Intruder would be a brilliant spin doctor. I am small framed and thin. The Intruder would say, “Skinny.” He would also point out my past nickname of “Mowgli.” Subtle but effective you see. Suddenly I’m not simply thin, I am a skinny caricature who looks like that kid from The Jungle Book. Now my self-esteem is plummeting faster than a shooting star.

He reminds me each day of my failures. The jobs I didn’t get. The girls who rejected me. The friendships that failed. The loneliness it feels to be me. The life I wish for but never seem to achieve.

The Intruder.

Hi, my name’s Red and welcome to my seemingly eternal battle with The Intruder. He will tell you things, but please don’t believe him. He lies about lies. Yes he tells the truth too, but it’s a version of the truth. He’ll turn you against me, but please come back to me.

Walk this journey with me.

7 comments:

  1. You know how beautifully I feel you write.
    This freaked me out, only because I care and hate to think of you hurting yourself.
    I often write in a similar vain. At least, I used to.
    Detached.
    Just, be good to you okay xxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will be :) The writing is a really good means of catharsis. It also is a good avenue for others to get a better understanding.

    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is immensely valuable!
    But the failures you claim are not yours alone.It takes two to concede a friendship is broken. Rejection is sometimes a reflection on the poor judgement of the one doing the rejecting. Employers often miss great opportunities through folly and timidity.

    Something great is going to come out of this, perhaps your ultimate destiny.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Peter. :) 'Ultimate destiny', I love that. Very inspiring. Our of weakness comes strength :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want to say beautiful, and it is. But also painful, but then maybe they are not opposites...
    Love the way you write. Love.
    Many more people should read your stuff, it's really really good bro.
    Xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks bro. That means a lot. Pain brings inspiration. Can't wait to see you! x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you for sharing that most personal part of yourself so that others may learn and be inspired.
    'Mowgli' was a name I was called in boarding school, when I was eleven years old, by a boy who bullied me everyday. How mystic Tom. A few years ago he apologised to me via someone he was in touch with. He said he had realised how cruel he had been to others. You have a profound mission in life. 'Those who have suffered the most deserve to become the happiest of all.'All the pain and heartache you have experienced will transform into happiness that is beyond anything you mind can envision at this moment. But it is there. Your writing is your gift. Beautiful... Naseem...x

    ReplyDelete