Friday 8 July 2011

*C*

*C* is an alcoholic. *C* has been an alcoholic for many years. I have known him for seven years and he has grappled with this disease for many years before I even first met him. I saw *C* today. I haven't seen him in a long time. He was staggering down the middle of the road as I was driving home from work. He was drunk and disorientated.

I drove past him and stopped. I couldn't leave him to to negotiate with passing traffic. I turned around, parked and stopped him in the street. After a few moments he recognised me. He started to cry. As people walked past and families rode past on their bicycles *C* was begging me to help him. I said I would. I said I would help him to stop hurting. I said I would do what I can to help him stop drinking and get to the root of why he is trying to kill himself through alcohol.

I got him in my car and drove him home.

I phoned an old friend and asked for his advice. Andy is a former headteacher, who is full of wisdom, grace and love. He is going to help me as we try to help *C*. I know alcoholism has deep, dark and destructive claws. I'm not naive and know unless *C* truly wants helps, he will never get better. But I hope we can maybe lead him down the right path.

I feel burdened know. I want to cry. I feel knocked sideways by this encounter. I need a hug.

1 comment:

  1. I did the same with my aunt last year.
    An ambulance was outside her house, I pulled over, went in.
    I collapsed into the police man's arms, as I saw her sat on the ground, sat in her own piss and shit.
    The house was...
    I wrote about it a lot.

    But this isn't about me.
    It is about YOU.

    I just want you to know, I can understand that overwhelming sadness.
    That knock, that fear, that helplessness.
    And then others just saying, well why did you do it.

    We make sense and I understand why this has impacted you.
    Love you {{{hugs}}}

    ReplyDelete