Wednesday 10 August 2011

Then and Now


I'm coming to the end of my time in therapy. It's liberating and comforting. Two sure signs I'm making the right decision to come away from it. A few months ago I would have been terrified of stopping therapy; it was a lifeline, a source of breath, comfort, guidance and stability. I feel at ease now to stop it. I know I am stronger. I know I am far more at peace. I know I like myself now.

That's the difference. In my time in therapy I have seen myself evolve and tear through the cocoon suffocating me and squeezing the life from my chest. At times I have managed to punch through the wall and start to suck in the life giving qualities of self-love, peace and stability. Then there have been those times where the cocoon's wall regenerated, pushing me back inside and covering my world in darkness again. Self-love to self-loathing; peace to unrest; stability to anarchy.

Now it's different. Now is the time.

I am happy. I am not manic; I am happy. I do not grapple with thoughts of self-harm; I am not seeking ways to self-destruct. I used to use others as an excuse to tumble down the hill of destruction. Use them as a scapegoat for my own desire to spiral into a world of madness. Not anymore.

The past week I have spent time with someone who is becoming very special to me; time with her confirmed my desire to seek peace and wholeness. Time with her and my friends recently has been affirming my desire to be a better man, a happy man, a man who uses his life to the potential it can get to.

I will never dismiss my illness. I will allow myself to live though and not let my illness live through me.

No comments:

Post a Comment