Tuesday 22 March 2011

Acceptance


I went three months without taking anti-depressants. At Christmas I decided I didn't want to be on them anymore. I was feeling defined by my illness and so (wrongly) thought it would be best to come off my medication.

I still get moments of shame about having depression. Like I need to 'snap' out of it and get a grip. I worry about new people I meet finding out I am on happy pills. I still occasionally think I am overreacting and part of that was why I stopped my medication.

Three months of feeling on the edge of a panic attack each day and having an unbearable knot in my stomach was enough though...

For me, anti-depressants have enabled me to gain clarity in my thinking and also equipped me to fight against my Intruder (see here ) and not allow It to dominate how I live my life.

Ultimately I have dreams I want to make real and, at times, my illness cripples me so the most basic tasks feel momentous. Medication eases the anxiety and gives me motivation to follow my imagination.

No comments:

Post a Comment