Monday 20 December 2010

Part 1: Why So Serious?

The American Atheists Alliance has created this billboard:


Now, I think they’ve missed the point a little bit. I can understand in America you’re dealing with very vocal Evangelicals and televangelists, so getting your voice heard over them all takes some effort. It seems though, that atheist movements are simply following the culture of many Christians though. A billboard at Christmas about Christmas being a myth seems pointless. It won’t convert anyone to atheism (and the advert does seem to want to convert), just as Christian posters won’t convert anyone.

It’s all so serious, when it doesn’t need to be. Obviously atheism has many nuances, just as other religions do. My own atheism (and yes, I am an atheist, regardless of how many people say I’m not) I feel can co-exist with religion quite easily. I don’t want to convert people to atheism and bang on about the evils of religion. I also think atheist movements are rather naive to think they will see a mass conversion to disbelief. People find spirituality comforting and interesting. Many people aren’t dedicated believers in god, but they will still be certain there is one. They look rather bewildered when I say I don’t believe there’s anything spiritual. “What, you don’t even believe in ghosts?”

I do not see belief in god as an issue. As with any community, group, movement, the concern is how society is impacted. It’s the churches which beat you over the head about how you’re going to hell, but fail to do anything to engage with their community that I have a problem with. Just as I have a problem with atheists who like to point out all the injustices of the past, but do nothing to help the less fortunate.

It appears to me that there are a growing number of atheists who are so caught up in proving they’re right, they forget a lot of people simply want to ‘be’. I don’t want to convince others about what I believe, I’m simply trying to be human. I’ve taken myself too seriously in the past and don’t need to do that anymore.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for this bro, really good post. There are far too many people on both sides of the belief fence who in many ways are just the same and equally as useless in providing hope and help to those who need it.

    You're right about 'being', we need to be more.

    We get on really well and have a completely different outworking of faith, yet can live in love and peace with each other...

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's also being respectful and admitting we don't have all the answers. I love how we talk about faith and life and although we may not agree, we completely respect each other's views.

    So many people need to be comfortable with saying, "I don't know."

    ReplyDelete