Thursday 1 July 2010

Grace and Love

I want to make it clear that a lot of my criticisms about Christianity are aimed at Conservative Evangelicalism and fundamentalism. My gripes are rather broad, sweeping statements about views and theology which is rather unloving and narrow-minded. There are many people with whom I have deep respect and love, who are avid followers of Christ.

Tim, my former boss, is a dear friend who I don't see enough. I would say he was a brilliant example of how Jesus would want to see his followers be. He gave me so much support and love when I was grappling with doubt and depression, whilst working in a job which required rather strong belief! He was a god send and I can't ever be more grateful to you Tim for how much of a good friend you have been to me.

My twin is getting ordained in a couple of weeks and I am so excited about the positive impact Joe is going to have on the community he joins in Devon. He challenges traditional views of church and is going to be doing something I believe Jesus would be rather happy with; he's going to be loving others where they are, as opposed to making them go to him. Unconditional love and grace, something I do feel Jesus taught about a lot. I am very proud of him.

I greatly admire Sam and his work on Mersea as the controversial rector. A very intelligent man who always challenges me with what he writes. Again, he exudes much of what I feel the Early Church was trying to achieve. Good humour, non-judgemental and very accepting of those around him. Another disciple who does not pretend to be anything he isn't and tries to break down misconceptions we form about the Christian faith.

There is much I agree with when it comes to Christianity and grace and love are high on the way I want to be towards others. A lot of my blog will be rather self-deprecating because I'm criticising much of what I used to believe and how it was rather self destructive. There is much though that I really agree with in many areas of more generous theology and would want to applaud people like Joe, Tim and Sam for who they are and what they bring to our community from a faith perspective.

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for the kind words bro!

    It's good to examine ourselves and look at what we believe and question why we believe different things. Your blog is a good way of doing this. It's also good to be in conversation with people from different belief systems as it helps sharpen the mind and soften the heart.

    Please don't be too self-deprecating though! It's good to recognise our failings and learn from them, but we can only be who we can be at the time. We are not who we were, but we are not yet who we will be.

    Much love...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't underestimate your continuing impact in the most positive way on those around you. Your willingness, humility and honesty to continue a conversation about faith and life after all you have been through and are still going through is a rare quality. I count it a privilege to have worked with you, to learn from you and to ponder with you big questions, even if we currently find ourselves reaching different conclusions on some matters.
    To pick up on Joe's comment, you consistently help me to have a sharper mind and a softer heart.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you all. I find you all a blessing :)

    I know that believe is an evolving thing, which is influenced by so many factors. I hope many more can join in the conversation, especially those who are quick to disregard, from both Christian and atheist (and other) camps.

    ReplyDelete